Sunday, April 5, 2009

4/12/09 Psalm

RCL reading for Sunday, April 12, 2009:
Excerpt from The New Revised Standard Version
via Oremus (http://bible.oremus.org)

Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24

1 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his steadfast love endures for ever!

2 Let Israel say,
‘His steadfast love endures for ever.’

14 The Lord is my strength and my might;
he has become my salvation.

15 There are glad songs of victory in the tents of the righteous:
‘The right hand of the Lord does valiantly;
16 the right hand of the Lord is exalted;
the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.’
17 I shall not die, but I shall live,
and recount the deeds of the Lord.
18 The Lord has punished me severely,
but he did not give me over to death.

19 Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the Lord.

20 This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.

21 I thank you that you have answered me
and have become my salvation.
22 The stone that the builders rejected
has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord’s doing;
it is marvellous in our eyes.
24 This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.

STUDY GUIDE

What does the passage tell us about God?
What does the passage tell us about human beings and the relationship between people?
What does the passage say about the relationship between God and human beings?
How does the passage call us to change?


adapted from “Theological Bible Study,” from In Dialogue with Scripture: An Episcopal Guide to Studying the Bible, ed. Linda L. Grenz (Episcopal Church Center, 1993), p. 96.


1 comment:

  1. Psalm 22 makes a chilling companion to Holy Week. It resonates in everything.

    ReplyDelete